Lead poisoning in children is a major health concern. Both low and high doses of paint can have serious effects. Children exposed to high doses of lead often suffer permanent nerve damage, mental retardation, blindness, and even death. Low doses of lead can lead to mild mental 5 retardation, short attention spans, distractibility, poor academic performance, and behavioral problems.
This is not a new concern. As early as 1904, lead poisoning in children was linked to lead-based paint. Microscopic lead particles from paint 10 are absorbed into the bloodstream when children ingest flakes of chipped paint,plaster,or paint dust from sanding. Lead can also enter the body through household dust, nailbiting, thumb sucking, or chewing on toys and other objects painted with lead-based paint. Although American paint companies today must comply with strict regulations 15 regarding the amount of lead used in their paint, this source of lead poisoning is still the most common and most dangerous. Children living in older, dilapidated houses are particularly at risk.
1. What is the main topic of the passage?
2. Which part of the passage discusses symptoms and consequences of lead poisoning?
3. The phrase "exposed to" in line 2 could best be replaced by which of the following?
4. As used in line 3, which of the following is closest in meaning to the word "suffer"?
5. Which of the following does the passage infer?
6. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the phrase "linked to" in line 9?
7. The word "absorbed" in line 10 could best bereplaced by
8. In line 10, the word "ingest" could best be replaced by which of the following?
9. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the word "chipped" as used in line 11?
10. In line 17, the word "dilapidated" is closest in meaning to which of the following?
11. According to the passage, what is the most common source of lead poisoning in children?
12. What does the author imply in the final sentence of the passage?
Đề thi ViOlympic Lớp 12 Trên Mạng có thể tìm thấy tại đây.