Carbohydrates, which are sugars, are an essential part of a healthy diet. They provide the main source of energy for the body, and they also function to flavor and sweeten foods. Carbohydrates range from simple sugars like glucose to complex sugars such as amylose and 5 amylopectin. Nutritionists estimate that carbohydrates should make up about one-fourth to one-fifth of a person's diet. This translates to about 75-100 grams of carbohydrates per day.
A diet that is deficient in carbohydrates can have an adverse effect 10 on a person's health. When the body lacks a sufficient amount of carbohydrates it must then use its protein supplies for energy, a process called gluconeogenesis. This, however, results in a lack of necessary protein, and further health difficulties may occur. A lack of carbohydrates can also lead to ketosis, a build-up of ketones 15 in the body that causes fatigue, lethargy, and bad breath.
1. What is the main idea of this passage?
2. The word "function" as used in line 3 refers to which of the following?
3. The word "range" as used in line 3 is closest in meaning to which of the following?
4. In line 5, the word "estimate" could best be replaced by
5. According to the passage, what do most nutritionists suggest?
6. Which of the following do carbohydrates NOT do?
7. Which of the following words could best replace "deficient" as used in line 9?
8. What does the word "this" refer to in line 13?
9. According to the passage, which of the following does NOT describe carbohydrates?
10. The word "lack" in line 13 is most similar to which of the following?
11. Which of the following best describes the author's tone?
12. Which of the following best describes the organization of this passage?
Đề thi ViOlympic Lớp 12 Trên Mạng có thể tìm thấy tại đây.