Situated in the central mountains of Alaska, a peak named Denali rises 20,320 feet above sea level. It is the highest peak in North America and the center of Denali National Park. One of America's greatest wilderness areas, the park has had limited access to visitors, but 5 in spite of this tourism rose from under 6,000 visitors in 1950 to over 546,000 visitors in 1990. The increasing popularity of this park is prompting serious discussions about the future use of Denali as well as how to preserve wilderness areas in general.
10 One important issue of land use arises when parts of National Parks are owned by individuals. In Denali, though most of the land in this vast tract of more than a million acres is owned by the National Park Service, several thousand acres are still privately owned as mining tracts. These mining tracts in Denali were once abundant sources 15 of gold, but they were sources of heavy metals such as arsenic and lead that polluted rivers and streams.
Environmentalists were successful in getting the government to require mining companies to submit statements showing the potential impact 20 of a mining project before they are allowed to begin mining. Because of this requirement, many individuals closed their mines and some sold their land to the National Park Service. Some land owners, however, are wondering if it is better to sell their land to the government or keep it for possible future use. Tourism in this previously remote 25 area is bound to rise, as more roads are built to provide easier access to the park. This increase in the number of visitors creates a demand for hotels and other real estate development. The economic implications of this are of interest to the land owners, but are dismaying to those interested in preserving the wilderness.
1. What is the primary focus of this passage?
2. The word "wilderness" in line 4 could be best replaced by the word
3. The word "prompting" in line 7 could best be replaced by which of the following?
4. As used in line 8, which of the following is most similar to the word "preserve"?
5. The word "arises" in line 10 could be best replaced by
6. The word "tract" as used in line 12 refers to which of the following?
7. Which of the following is most similar to the word "abundant" in line 14?
8. According to the passage, which of the following are pollutants in the Denali area?
9. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the phrase "potential impact" in line 19?
The author infers that some mine owners might hesitate to sell their
land to the Park Service for which of the following reasons?
11. What is the author's purpose in writing this passage?
12. Which of the following would most likely be the topic of the next paragraph in this passage?
Đề thi ViOlympic Lớp 12 Trên Mạng có thể tìm thấy tại đây.